[Cvsnt] Recommended use of email notification via loginfo??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Dec 10 00:29:23 GMT 2001

I would like to know what is the "normal" way of using the loginfo
file? As I understand it loginfo is invoked whenever there is a commit
in the repository. This causes email to be sent out to some or all
users. I guess that email goes out to people in the users admin file,
but this file should really contain the email mapping for all users on
the system. This makes the message go out to all users of CVS, maybe
not quite what we want?

When a watch is put on a file and it is committed then CVS uses the
users file to translate usernames into email addresses, but only for
those users who have in fact put themselves on the watch list. Then
notify is called with this address list as input.
In the case of loginfo I have not found a similar screening, so I
guess that all users in the users file get the email.

Or am I completely off here?
If loginfo does not use the users file, then I wonder where the system
gets the addresses to which to send the commit info?
Is it perhaps another manually maintained userlist?

Any help would be great! What do people generally do?