[Cvsnt] permission denied error ..

Joachim Achtzehnter joachim at kraut.ca
Mon Dec 10 08:03:32 GMT 2001

In a message to cvsnt at cvsnt.org, shekhar wrote:

> I  am getting an error 'permission denied' (details are given below)
> when I try to checkout a module to which I HAVE READ ONLY PERMISSIONs.

You need WRITE permissions for the repository even for seemingly read-only
operations like checkout. The reason for this should be obvious from this
error message:

> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `d:/cvs/vss2cvs/mbcc'
> (d:/cvs/vss2cvs/comproj/#cvs.lock): Permission denied

To prevent other users (who may be carrying out write operations) from
modifying data while you are reading it, CVS must create a lock. By
default, locks are created within the repository.

> Any advice?

Read the documentation about the LockDir parameter in the config file.
This parameter instructs CVS to create its locks in another directory
hierarchy, hence allowing read-only file permissions in the repository.

Joachim

--
work:     joachima at netacquire.com  (http://www.netacquire.com)
private:  joachim at kraut.ca         (http://www.kraut.ca)