[Cvsnt] general questions.

Adam Shand adam at personaltelco.net
Thu Sep 27 22:16:16 BST 2001

hi.

i've spent the last couple days messing around with cvsnt 1.11.1 and
reading the mailing list archives. over all i'm pretty impressed though it
does seem a little quirky, especially the gui (adding a repository via the
"Add" button doesn't seem to work at all, and i haven't quite figured out
the right order to use "cvsservice -i" without getting error messages).

i have a couple questions (please bear with me i'm a unix guy not an nt
guy but we want the cvs users to be integrated with our nt domain, hence
cvs nt).

 - i've seen references in the older list archives saying that people have
   been having problems with 1.11 and went back to 1.10.  what is the
   offical recommendation now? what are the significant differences
   between 1.10 and 1.11?

 - i'd like to standardize on a CVSROOT hostname and path.  in the future
   i see this allowing us to migrate to different servers without having
   to worry about coordinating all the developers checking everything in
   before the move.  unfortunatey cvsnt's usage of drive letters breaks
   this.  i thought i might be able to use a windows shortcut like a unix
   symlink but that doesn't seem to work.  is there anyway to be able to
   make a CVSROOT of something like ":pserver:adam at cvsserver:/cvsroot" to
   work regardless of where /cvsroot is on the actual server?

 - we need *nix and windows clients to be able to access our repository
   (why we migrated from vss a few months ago).  are their any issues with
   having the windows users user the ntserver with wincvs and the unix
   ones use pserver?

 - we'd like to use a file server (a netapp) as our central cvs store.
   this works well because it makes sure the data is backed up gives us a
   central point of managment.  the problem is that windows drives are
   mapped at login time not boot time and cvsnt doesn't seem to support
   unc paths.  is there any way to make this work?

 - i've also seen some messages here saying that using a network file
   system (either smb or nfs) is a *bad* idea with cvs.  how bad is it?
   have people made it work, if so how?  people always say that network
   filesystems are bad but, for example, you can make it work with mail
   servers (careful mbox locking via procmail or maildir).  are there ways
   to make it work with cvsnt?

thanks,
adam.