[Cvsnt] ToirtoiseCVS 0.48 uses CVSNT by default

Francis Irving francis.irving at creaturelabs.com
Tue Apr 2 12:00:17 BST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 00:02:05 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nothing-on.tv>
wrote:

>:ext: is basically 'miscellaneous' support.  You set the CVS_RSH env.
>variable (or
>set the Software\Cvsnt\ext\command registry key) to a program that takes
>the the form '<command> -l <user> cvs server' and all the input/output
>is piped through that.
>
>The old cvs used to default to rsh, but since that's quite uncommon
>these days I changed it to use ssh by default instead.

The main trouble with this is that it is hard to make it compatible.

If people have sandboxes checked out using :server: then they are
obviously using RSH.  At the moment TortoiseCVS assumes that anyone
using :ext: is using SSH.

The trouble is, that CVS_RSH environment variable isn't stored
anywhere (in the CVS/Root file, for example) so you can't mix two
different uses of it.

So I'd prefer it if :server: automatically used RSH...

I had a look at the CVSNT code, and it doesn't look that hard to add
built in rsh :server: support, by stealing the appropriate rcmd code
from CVS.  However, unless anybody who actually cares has the
motivation to do this, it won't happen.

Does that sound like a sensible thing that you would want in CVSNT?

Francis