[Cvsnt] Which version is reported by cvs ver???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Apr 1 19:38:20 BST 2002

I have just discovered something strange when testing the cvs ls
modifications I am doing. I compile new cvs.exe files and copy them to
the server PC over the network. Then I did the following:
C:\test\castor>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57b)
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57b)
(client/server)

So it reports back the 57b build. So far so good, because I have the
same base version on my own PC and the client should be 57b.

But then I changed the build to 57c so I can see which file is which.
After replacing on the server only and repeating the cvs ver command I
received back exactly the same response! I had expected Client:57b and
Server:57c.

So my question now is: