[Cvsnt] cvs ls developments

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Apr 1 21:48:41 BST 2002

I have now modified the cvs ls function so that the format for
recursion is as follows:
Directory <path from repository root>/<directory name>

This means thta now it is possible for the agile WinCvs programmer to
create a repository browser if a cvsnt 1.11.1.3 beta57c or higher is
found on the server side.

But while this works probably fairly good locally I have noted some
slow performance during my tests on a cvs server accessed via VPN over
Internet. It looks like the returned lines of data arrive at a pace of
about one or two lines per second. This is a bit slow considering I
have a 500kbps Internet connection.
So I am wondering if there are any known issues that can slow down the
process? For example if there is a handshake for each line of data
between client and server?

I did a test on one of my modules on the server and it returned 216
lines of data and took more than a minute to complete even though the
total amount of transferred information is about 13 kb.
So where is the bottleneck?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)