[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - still not working

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Tue Apr 2 10:12:29 BST 2002

Now I tested your version, but it still does not work as I think it should :-(

This is what I did (lines with "C:\>" in front are the commands, the other are
the output of the CVS-command):

Directly at the CVS-Server-Machine (NT4-Domainserver):
  C:\> cvs -d :local:C:\BaseDir\Repository passwd -a MyAlias
  Adding user MyAlias at cvs.domain.com
  New password: irgendwas
  Verify password: irgendwas
  cvs passwd: *WARNING* CVS user 'MyAlias' will not be able to log in until they are
   aliased to a valid system user.
  C:\> cvs -d :local:C:\BaseDir\Repository passwd -r MyUser -D MyDomain MyAlias
  Changing password for MyAlias
   C:\>

After that the passwd-file in the CVSROOT-directory looks like follows:
  MyAlias:!MyDomain:MyUser

MyUser is a valid NT-Domain-User in the domain MyDomain.
Now I should be able to login in as "MyAlias" with the password of "MyUser" or not ?

Here is the output at the client machine (C:\BaseDir is removed from repositories at CVSNT-Services):
  C:\> cvs -d :pserver:MyAlias at cvs.domain.com:/Repository login
  Logging in to :pserver:MyAlias at cvs.domain.com:2401/Repository
  CVS password: ValidDomainPassword
  cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server cvssrv.sysdesign.loc rejected
  access to /Repository for user MyAlias
  C:\> cvs -d :pserver:MyAlias at cvs.domain.com:/Repository login
  Logging in to :pserver:MyAlias at cvs.domain.com:2401/Repository
  CVS password: irgendwas
  C:\> cvs -d :pserver:MyUser at cvs.domain.com:/Repository login
  Logging in to :pserver:MyUser at cvs.domain.com:2401/Repository
  CVS password: ValidDomainPassword

  C:\>

As you can see, I'm able to login as valid NT-Domain-User with his Domain-Password, but I'm
not able to login with the alias-name...

What am I doing wrong ????

BTW: if I try to change the password of the Domain-User the following happens:
  C:\> cvs -d :pserver:MyUser at cvs.domain.com:/Repository passwd
  Changing password for MyUser at cvs.domain.com
  New password: irgendwas
  Verify password: irgendwas
  cvs [passwd aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

  C:\>

I don't think this should happen ?!

with regards,
Matthias