[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - still not working

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Apr 2 10:46:48 BST 2002

Matthias,
there are a few things to still be careful about:
1) As far as I have seen you must do everything in a single command, this means
to create the login, set the alias and password all at once. This is how I would
have done it:
C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:<servermachinename>:C:/BaseDir/Repository
C:\>cvs passwd -r MyNTUser -a MyCVSlogin
New password:*******
Verify password:*******

After this the passwd file would look like:
MyCVSlogin:#@k7r3!fgrwk:MyNTUser
Where the first part is the new cvs login and the middle part is the cvs password
(encrypted) for this login and the third part is the valid NT user login to be used
as alias when MyCVSlogin connects.

Notes:
- cvs passwd cannot change the domain password of any account it only deals with the
  cvs login passwords, which are only used by cvs.
- When you enter a new cvs login it must be a valid NT login or you must supply the
  login name of a valid NT account
- when cvs accepts a pserver login it only checks the name and password then if OK it
  checks if there is an alias associated with the login. If there is an alias it will
  use that account for operations otherwise it will look for an NT account by the same
  name as the cvs login and use that. This is why it must exist or be aliased.
- in no case will cvs use any login procedure involving the system passwords to be able
  to use the original or aliased account. It simply uses it since it runs as the SYSTEM
  with all priviliges.

What I see you are trying to do that is not what I would do is:
== You use :local: mode, I would use ntserver mode
== You are first adding a user then aliasing it, I would do both in the same command
== You are trying to use the domain password for cvs login, this will not work
   you must use the cvs password given during the cvs login setup

/Bo