[Cvsnt] Unable to lock files

Antoniosi, Luis Felipe felipe.antoniosi at softcomex.com.br
Wed Apr 3 13:42:40 BST 2002

Hello,

Let me explain my problem:

We develop on SQLWindows32, which doesn't produce source codes in plain text
like any other languange. Due to this the merge function doesn't work. At
really, trying to merge, if someone else skip one line or something like the
file corrupts.
Due to this we have the true need to lock the files to avoid double editing,
or else we will lost our work.
Other big problem: some notebooks here are win98 then we can't use named
pipes (in fact we don't have this protocol here).

I am trying to use the cvs in pserver mode but when I try to lock files it
says that this feature is reseverd to repository administrators. I searched
over the internet/documentation for many possibilities:

* create cvsadmin group and join people to this group
* create admin file on cvsroot
* use edit -c instead
* etc

But it only works when I grant administrative rights to the user. I can't do
it for everybody because this is madness. It is not safe. My network admin
won't allow it.

What can I do?

Move to a unix sever?

Thanks,