[Cvsnt] issue regarding comments and tags

Arvind Raman arvind_raman_tech at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 10:43:10 BST 2002

Hi,
I had a seemingly trivial issue regarding comments
and tags. When I commit modified files to the database
Cvs gives me an option to associate a comment with the
changes made. If I commit only the modified files and
not the entire directory structure Cvs only associates
the comments with the modified files ; which is
agreeable.

Now when I assign a tag to the root of the directory
structure Cvs doesn't give me any option of asigning a
comment there.

I have a habit of assigning tags as 1_0,1_1,1_2 etc.
Now if I would like to know why the version 1_2 was
created or what specific purpose it served, I have no
way of knowing it except for possibly looking at the
comments which were assigned while checking in the
files. Isn't it possible to assign a comment
specifically with the tags.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions. This is a
feature which I guess most of the commercial version
control systems have.

Thanks and regards
Arvind