[Cvsnt] Making Progress, not there yet (was Installing CVSNT and Connecti ng from Clients)

Anthony Williams anthwil at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Apr 19 12:42:56 BST 2002

"Paul Grenyer" <Paul.Grenyer at chorleys-communisis.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7A7AACCC920AD511BF510090273C27300123AA9E at chorpcsrv001.localnet...
> I've gone for pserver again, with CVS passwords so as not to compromise
our
> NT passwords when the system is used over the 'net.

Understandable, though I think SSPI helps here (But maybe only for
win2k->win2k as NTLMv1 used by win9x is insecure?)

> To do this I've set 'SystemAuth=o' in config and committed it to CVSROOT.
> I've created a file called 'passwd' and put it in C:\CVS\CVSROOT (DevGuy
> suggests calling it '.passwd', but that doesn't seem to work).

There shouldn't be a dot.

> In my 'passwd' file I have the entries (not my real password of course):

> anonymous
> paul:mypassword

> The CVS documentation suggests there should be colon after 'anonymous',
but
> this doesn't seam to work, but it does work (almost) without the colon.

> I've tried the following on both the server and a client machine:

> I set a user variable called 'CVSROOT' to
> ':pserver:anonymous at Chorpcwks043:c:\cvs' and type:

> cvs login

> at the command line. This then asks for a password, so I hit enter and get
> "cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server Chorpcwks043 rejected
> access to C:\CVS for user anonymous". If I remove anonymous from the
passwd
> file, I get "cvs login aborted]: no such user annoymous in
CVSROOT/passwd",
> which suggests to me that CVSNT is reading passwd ok, but not granting
> access for some reason.

> If I change CVSROOT to ':pserver:paul at Chorpcwks043:c:\cvs' and use the
> password 'mypassword' and run the same two tests as above, I get the same
> results. I don't know why.

> I am wondering if my CVS users don't have access to 'C:\CVS' for some
> reason, but I don't have a clue how to grant it.

There must be a valid NT user on the target machine, which CVS can use for
the login. By default, this user must have the same name as the CVS user
name, however you can set up an alias. This is the third entry in passwd,
which has the following format for each line:

cvsuser:passwordhash:ntusername

If the passwordhash is empty, pserver accepts an empty password (I believe).

Multiple cvs users can alias to the same NT user, and the NT user can be a
Domain user (put Domain\domainusername instead of ntusername)

BTW, you should set up a repository prefix to get rid of the drive letter
from the repostiory root, to make it easier to move the repository (and for
easier interoperability with non-Windows clients)

HTH

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd