[Cvsnt] Cvsnt case sensitive?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Apr 25 15:06:33 BST 2002

Thomas Singer wrote:

> Don't tell me, we should through away our IDE because of a limitation in CVS
> and don't start a flame war on what's the best IDE (or editor).

It is *not* a limitation of CVS.  If you want to blame anyone, blame Microsoft
for being to stupid to recognize the problems they were creating with
case-preserving yet not case-sensitive.  The O/S is at fault here; CVS cannot
change that.

I view this as really a carbon-based error; if the developer saves the file with
the correct capitalization to begin with, there is no problem.  You have been
given a way to recover from the user error (which rely on directly editing the
repository), and any more grousing about CVS is not going to change this behavior.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group