[Cvsnt] Error reading from server localhost: -1 (CVS 1.11.1.3 - Build 57c)

Sergio Henrique Monteiro da Silva sergiohm at starband.net
Fri Apr 26 19:45:26 BST 2002

Using the latest build of CVSNT (or any build for that matter).
Machine is a Thinkpad T-20 with Windows 2K Server.

Whenever I try to login to the cvs server locally i get the error

C:\>cvs -d :pserver:sergiohm at localhost:/cvsrep login
Logging in to :pserver:sergiohm at localhost:2401/cvsrep
CVS password: ******
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1

If I run the cvsservice -test I get the following:

C:\>cvsservice -test
CVS 1.11.1.3  (Build 57c) (Apr 17 2002) starting in test mode.
Repository prefix set to C:/
Adding repository C://cvsrep
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\DOCUME~1\sergiohm\LOCALS~1\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=00000200 Family=2,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): Only one
usage o
f each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
(n
ot fatal)
Error: All socket binds failed.

Although this might seem there is a problem when I run the same
cvsservice -test on another machine (Dell-Windows XP Home) I get this:

C:\Documents and Settings\sergiohm>cvsservice -test
CVS 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a) (Mar 13 2002) starting in test mode.
Adding repository D:\ead4jcvsrep
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\DOCUME~1\sergiohm\LOCALS~1\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An address
inco
mpatible with the requested protocol was used.  (not fatal)
Socket Failed (Handle=00000768 Family=2,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): Only one
usage o
f each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
(n
ot fatal)
Error: All socket binds failed.

And on this machine CVS does work (note the build is different but I'm not
sure it makes a difference. I've tried build 57A and still it does not
work!).

I've already checked the archives I found out one user had a firewall and
uninstalling it fixed the problem.
I found another user who still has the problem.
Well, I do not have any firewall on the machine.
Norton Antivirus is running but I've uninstalled it and CVS still does not
working when connnecting locally to my own machine.

Note that if i use CVS to connect to a remote machine it works fine:

C:\>cvs -d :pserver:sergiohm at sergio_dell:d:\ead4jcvsrep login
Logging in to :pserver:sergiohm at sergio_dell:2401d:\ead4jcvsrep
CVS password: ******

Any thoughts?
Help?