[Cvsnt] Question: renaming modules

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Aug 1 15:41:52 BST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:11:37 +0000 (UTC),
Peter.Prokesch at wetzer.endress.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>a question just occurred in our company, and I dont want to crash our project, so I
>ask you before:
>
>We are developing a project called "aaa". Now we realized, that the correct name of
>"aaa" should have been "bbb".
>
>Is it possible to rename "aaa" in the repository-dir on the cvsnt-server to "bbb"?
>What do I have to change on the server? And what on the clients (beside changing the
>entry in file "Repository")?

You can rename the module dir but you have to be careful how you do
it:

1. Get everyone to do their final checkins under the old name
2. Everyone now should delete their sandboxes with the old name in it
2. Shut down the cvsnt service
3. Rename the directory
4. Start the cvsnt server
5. Everyone checks out the module under the new name

This should be safe enough.  The biggest problem is if people keep
their repositories under the old name - things can get very confused
(someone manually renamed a directory here 6 months ago without
telling anyone and it still bites us occasionally, because they
renamed it when there was active development on it).