[cvsnt] Error after modification of revision 1.1

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 10 21:19:58 BST 2002

You cannot change history!
If the file had a certain contents when it was revision 1.5 and now it
has become 1.10, then 1.5 is old history and the whole purpose of a
version control system is to preserve the history of each file.
So you are not permitted to change the old revision into something
else, period.

If what you want to do is to work on a new revision of the file based
on the revision 1.5 then you can either base a new branch on 1.5, edit
the file and commit. Now you will have a new file with revision
1.5.1.1.
Or you may decide that revisions 1.6-1.10 were bad and you want 1.5
back on top. Then simply get the 1.5 revision, copy it off to the
side, update to HEAD and copy in the 1.5 file and commit. This file
will now be revision 1.11.

/Bo

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), mani srikanth
<cvs at starmail.cc> wrote:

>Hello
>
>please help me out how to correct this problem.
>
>we have 10 revision nos of one particular file. latest one is 1.10
>we want to modify the 1.5 revision no of this file. we have checked out the 1.5 revision file and modify but we have update also but when we commit the this file error is appearing
>
>cvs server sticky tag 1.5 for file admin.asp is not a branch .
>cvs server aborted. correct above first error.
>
>e:/cvs/tm1/tmscripts/docman/admin.asp
>
>thanks and cheer
>srikanth.m

>You Imagine - We Deliver---> http://www.starweb.cc