[cvsnt] CVSNT bug #4: Spaces in CVS_RSH with :ext: mode causes problems

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Aug 15 14:36:59 BST 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:30:38 +1000, Mitch Davis <mjd at alphalink.com.au>
wrote:

>CVS_RSH should not be used to add parameters, and actually
>under Unix CVS, extra parameters will cause CVS to fail, as
>shown on this Unix box:

That's precisely the bogosity that cvsnt fixes.  It shouldn't be
necessary to write scripts just to pass a single option.

> - Explicitly adding double quotes to the value of CVS_RSH
>   works for CVSNT, but causes other CVS clients to break.
>   (I added double quotes just to show that the snprintf
>   with backslashed quotes would work as required).

So don't add quotes when using the Unix version.   Problem solved.
You can't expect to mix clients on the same sandbox.  There are
already incomparibilities on the client and these are going to get
worse over time.

btw. On a production system you would never disable short file names.
There is a lot of software that depends on them - pretty much
everything that depends on the registry for example (MSDN states that
all paths stored in the registry must be in their short form).