[cvsnt] Administrator of WinCVS

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Aug 20 22:38:21 BST 2002

>  I am new to WinCVS environment and am trying to familiarize myself with
the
> WinCVS Client environment.    I'm using NTServer , therefore, do not have
> need for the unix syntax.  All the documentation, with the exception of
the
> of the CVS 3.1 Users Guide supports the unix envoronment .  Am I to youse
> those commands to carry out request asw well. or is  WinCVS Menu driven.

Please first understand this: WinCvs itself is not even a CVS client. It is
a GUI frontend wrapper to the CVSNT commandline client (or any other CVS
executable that supports the cvsgui protocol - this restriction will be
removed in the future from what I've understood, though). The CVSNT
executable itself started out as a port of the unix client, so yes, the
syntax is identical in the way that what applies to unix cvs will also apply
to CVSNT. OTOH, CVSNT is evolving at a much faster pace than the original
cvs project, so there are a lot of enhancements there already.

Now back to your original question: Yes, WinCvs is menu driven, but all the
menus do is invoke the commandline client "under the hood", so to understand
the available options on the WinCvs dialogs it is quite useful to be
familiar with the commandline syntax as well.
You will also occasionally run into situations where the options or commands
necessary to accomplish a specific task are not (yet) exposed through the
GUI, so you will have to fall back to using the commandline client.

Another bottom line is probably this: Please continue this thread on the
CVSGUI list/NG.

Hope this helps.

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org