[cvsnt] Re: Keyword Expansion Issues

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 21 06:45:57 BST 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:25:38 GMT, tmh at nothing-on.tv (Tony Hoyle)
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:07:33 -0400, "Mike Amundsen"
><mike at amundsen.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using the Keyword expansion features of CVSNT in my source code:
>>
>>// $Header: $
>>
>>expands to:
>>
>>// $Header: X:/CVSROOT/ProjectA/Components/Constructors.cs,v 1.1 2002/07/28
>>16:24:13 JoeDeveloper Exp $
>>
>>notice that the expansion includes the *physical* drive mapping and a
>>*actual* folder path.  this seems incorrect to me.  well, at least it's not
>>what i had expected.
>>
>>is there a way i can 'tweak' the output to only name the repository and
>>module hierarchy instead of publishing the acutal location of the files on
>>the server?
>>
>That's the way it's supposed to work:
>
> `$Header$'
>      A standard header containing the full pathname of the RCS file,
>      the revision number, the date (UTC), the author, the state, and
>      the locker (if locked).  Files will normally never be locked
>when
>      you use CVS.
>
>You probably want to use:
>
> `$Id$'
>      Same as `$Header$', except that the RCS filename is without a
>path.
>
>Tony

Tony,
if the server uses the prefix feature to hide the physical path from
the user and to make it more Unix-like, then I would have expected
this output to start *after* the prefix. With a prefix of d:/cvsrepo
and a repository root as /projects and a module file as /src/ls.c I
expected:
$Header: /projects/src/ls.c,v 1.1 ... rather than
$Header: d:/cvsrepo/projects/src/ls.c,v 1.1 ...
Why can't it be like that?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)