[cvsnt] Errors using the cvs ls command on CVSNT servers from WinCvs

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Aug 21 09:27:00 BST 2002

As I posted yesterday to CVSNT there is a bug somewhere in
the WinCvs-CVSNT system. Short recapitulation of the bug:

I have tested 'cvs ls -l' from two different PC:s using the same version of
WinCvs and pointing to the same version of cvs.exe (57g).
I have also tested against the same CVSNT server for the cvs ls command.
The CVSNT server also runs the 57g CVSNT build.
What I did yesterday was to move into a sandbox in WinCvs, then go into
the command window at the bottom and typing cvs ls -l.
When I execute this on my old PC (W2000) I get a list of modules in 1-2 seconds.
When i do this on the new (WinXP Pro) PC WinCvs hangs in with the fishes swimming
indefinitely until I click the stop button. At this time the following error message comes up:

cvs ls -l
*****CVS stopped on user request !!! *****
Listing modules on server
cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat directory D:/CVSTEMP/CVSLOCKS/g a module that consists of many directories
# spread out over the entire source repository.
: Bad address

Today I did a little more experimentation by using a command prompt on the
sandbox used above and issuing the command cvs ls -l outside of WinCvs.
Result:
I immediately see a list of the modules on the server on both PC:s!

Conclusion:
There is something that is missing in the setup of WinCvs on the new PC.
But I have used the latest WinCvs 1.3 setup file on this XP machine and I have
also installed both TCL and Python from the respecive setup files.
Note that the new PC is a laptop that I received last week and on which I have
installed various software that I use regularly such as Borland Delphi, MS Visual Studio 6,
MS Office 2000, and a whole set of other stuff. But these are also installed on the
old laptop running W2000. I have not installed anything new on this XP machine that
I did not also install on W2000.

Final note:
All other commands I have tested on the new PC seem to work OK. I can also
change between ntserver and sspi protocols (ChangeRootGUI) without any change
in behaviour.

Must be a bug in the WinCvs setup that possibly does not properly update some
system dll. Can Jerzy or someone else list which dll:s are needed for WinCvs?

Extra final info:
I just checked on a co-worker's PC that this is a problem. He has been using WinCvs 1.2
since 18 months and upgraded by installing WinCvs from the downloaded setup file and
also Python. All his normal operations work just fine, but also on his installation WinCvs
hangs when he uses cvs ls commands. He has also pointed his alternate cvs to the cvs.exe
from CVSNT build 57g.

Hope thsi can be solved, because I have seen other users reporting the same problem
on the lists....

Best regards,

Bo Berglund