[cvsnt] Using CVSNT with repository on SAMBA drive

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 28 00:14:57 BST 2002

I think that if the developers commit their stuff regularly (when they
leave at night) then there is really no need for a workstation backup
to be done. I assume that your repository on the W2000 box *will* be
backed up nightly of course.
This is how I have been running my shop for 18 months now with 5-8
developers using CVS. No problems so far, but I use the CVSMailer
program to monitor activity so I can see when a lazy developer does
not commit so I can tell him.
A side effect of having the sandbox locally is that all compiles and
builds speed up something wonderful. No time to go for coffee or smoke
during a build anymore...

If you are really not wanting developers to commit daily changes
(why?) then you could set up a backup task on each workstation to run
at night. You could use the backup that is shipped with W2000 and
WinXP and target a file on the samba server or another Windows server)
as the volume to backup to. This will create a backup file on the
server which can in turn be backed up to tape. This way you will get
all backups you need. Of course the developers must leave the
workstations switched on nightly for this scheme to work.

/Bo

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)