[cvsnt] Crash with CVSNT at client side !

Koen no at ssppaamm.com
Fri Aug 30 14:01:31 BST 2002

"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote in message
news:rpoumuc9jif6geps8q4ti05ntbk8h1snf5 at 4ax.com...
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:00:56 +0200, "Koen" <no at ssppaamm.com> wrote:
>

> >Alright, I managed to find it under the development section --> on the
> >SourceForge site...
> >
> >BUT it still doesn't work !!!
> >That TortoiseCVS version (1.0.1) is still shipped with CVSNT 1.11.1.4
Alpha
> >1 !!!
> >
> >Just try it at your computer:
> >cvs -d :pserver:user at server:repository login
> >cvs -d :pserver:user at server:repository passwd
> >--> it still crashes !!!
> >
> >What's going on here? And what should I do now to get things working?
What
> >should I tell all my CVS users to do (can't tell them to use the latest
> >stable version, since that doesn't work)?
> >
> >Koen
> >
> Why not use CVSNT 1.11.1.3 b57f then???

> >Alright, I managed to find it under the development section --> on the
> >SourceForge site...
> >
> >BUT it still doesn't work !!!
> >That TortoiseCVS version (1.0.1) is still shipped with CVSNT 1.11.1.4
Alpha
> >1 !!!
> >
> >Just try it at your computer:
> >cvs -d :pserver:user at server:repository login
> >cvs -d :pserver:user at server:repository passwd
> >--> it still crashes !!!
> >
> >What's going on here? And what should I do now to get things working?
What
> >should I tell all my CVS users to do (can't tell them to use the latest
> >stable version, since that doesn't work)?
> >
> >Koen
> >
> Why not use CVSNT 1.11.1.3 b57f then???

Well, let's say this: for the server side I don't mind that much fiddling
around with different versions and trying which one works best (I don't like
it, but I can do it).
But (and that's the whole point) for the client side, I really don't want to
tell people every time that they should try this version and then that
version. You know, I already had a hard time trying to convince people to
use TortoiseCVS. I knew command-line based cvs would not be easy to use, and
that's why I chose TortoiseCVS which is in my opinion a very great tool
(really, it got me convinced to use it all the time)!!!
Ease of use is main reason why we're using it. Now, if it appears that this
ease of use ("enjoyable version control") has to be given up because there
are unstable things under the hood that still need to be fiddled with
manually, and that the latest stable version is not stable (and contains
components that are strongly advised by the developpers not to be used!),
then I'm starting to doubt to use this in a real world environment.
Please understand: I just cannot afford to tell people to go and get version
1.11.1.3 b57f of CVSNT and copy the cvs.exe file in that release somewhere
into their Program Files directory structure.
I would assume that "enjoyable version control" means that you get the
installer of the latest stable release, install it on your machine and
you're off with stable components, and that's apparently not the case right
now with the latest stable release of TortoiseCVS (not with the one on the
official web site, and not with the one in the SourceForge downloads).

Of course, I understand that you guys are already doing lots of (great!)
work (maybe even in your free time!) to get all of this working decently,
and believe me, I really appreciate it a lot !!! So I'm really sorry if I
start working on your nervers about this (just trying to keep it easy to use
for everyone...)

All that said, let's get back to the real stuff...
I will try to get a hold of CVSNT 1.11.1.3 b57f and try to use that.
How do I do that? Where do I get it (it's a complete install package after
all isn't it, used for the server right?). What file from that package do I
copy (cvs.exe ?) Where do I copy it (in Program Files\TortoiseCVS ?)
If that works, should I tell all my CVS users to do the same (and hope they
don't mess up anything)?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this!

Koen