[cvsnt] bug in handling of global CVS ignore (CVSROOT/cvsignore) ?

Hans Horn hannes at 2horns.com
Wed Dec 4 20:12:02 GMT 2002

According to the CVS doc (chapter C.5), it reads:

"...CVS has a list of files (or sh(1) file name patterns) that it should
ignore while running update, import and release. This list is constructed
in the following way.

   a.. The list is initialized to include certain file name patterns:
 names associated with CVS administration, or with other common source
 control systems; common names for patch files, object files, archive
 files, and editor backup files; and other names that are usually
 artifacts of assorted utilities. Currently, the default list of ignored
 file name patterns is:
             RCS     SCCS    CVS     CVS.adm
 RCSLOG  cvslog.*  tags    TAGS  .make.state     .nse_depinfo  *~      #*
      .#*     ,*      _$*     *$
     *.old   *.bak   *.BAK   *.orig  *.rej   .del-*  *.a     *.olb   *.o
    *.obj   *.so    *.exe  *.Z     *.elc   *.ln   core

   a.. The per-repository list in `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvsignore' is appended
 to the list, if that file exists. .
   b.. The per-user list in `.cvsignore' in your home directory is
 appended to the list, if it exists.
   c.. Any entries in the environment variable $CVSIGNORE is appended to
 the list.
   d.. Any `-I' options given to CVS is appended.
   e.. As CVS traverses through your directories, the contents of any
 `.cvsignore' will be appended to the list. The patterns found in
 `.cvsignore' are only valid for the directory that contains them, not for
 any sub-directories. ..."

CVSNT does not seem to honor the per-repository list in
`$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvsignore' .

This file contains in my case simply the following entries :
classes
*.class

as, for instance, all of the class files in my Java projects show up as
'non-cvs' .

However, when I provide a local .cvsignore file (containing the same
entries) for each of my top-level Java project folder, the classes folder,
as well as all the class files are hidden.

Hans