[cvsnt] remote checkout fails to complete

Paul St. John pstjohn at visible-bytes.com
Fri Dec 6 18:46:20 GMT 2002

> >1) trace the communication between WinCvs client and Server and see
> >   where the communication is breaking down (is there a facility for
> >   this?  In worse case I could build sources and use debug mode if
> >   necessary - but I'm not familiar with the code base so this would
> >   be time consuming).
>
> Set CVS_CLIENT_LOG on the client to the name of a file somewhere that
> you can write to.  That'll produce <file>.out and <file>.in which
> contains all the data.  It can get very large though.

How do I do this with WinCvs client?  It doesn't seem to care about
environment variables.

The problem seems specific to large binary files. I've used
cvs -t update <filename> on the remote client it goes fine until
it hits the spot where you'd expect to see the line saying the file
is being updated.

I came across this very brief reference on cvs-home faq-o-matic:

"It is worth knowing that sometimes very large binary files can
cause slowdown and even stoppage of the server."

It goes on to mention that one way to handle the problem is to
delete revisions - but that doesn't seem like much of a solution
to me.

Further splunking on the 'net turns up reference's to not using
cvs to store large binary files.  Some of these seem to be based
on pratical reasons and others on theoretical reasons (BTW, I
disagree with the theoritical ones - I *want* to be able to store
large binaries with my source code.  But that's another discussion.)

Oh, BTW, did I mention it works now?  Did two things - increased
size of VM on server and had client turn on TCP/IP compression.  When
A large binary file is encountered it is still reeeaaaalllllllyyyy
slow but it eventual gets past it.  The TCP/IP toggle was
suggested here: http://www.zaptech.com/commentary/cvs/cvs.html
and I suspect it is what made the difference.

Can anyone expand on the comment that large binary files can
cause cvs to slowdown and even stop?

Thanks to all who offered input, especially Tony.

-psj.