[cvsnt] WinCVS Python macros

Oliver Giesen giesen at lucatec.de
Wed Dec 11 09:40:08 GMT 2002

"Alexandre Augusto Drummond Barroso" <adrummond at bdmg.mg.gov.br> wrote
in message news:mailman.1039564442.11520.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> I'm writing a few macros and translating some of the TCL macros that
already
> exist. I've searched bugzilla and didn't find anything related to
translation
> of TCL macros to Python. I'd like to know who is responsible by
maintaining
> Python macros so I can know the status of this task (if it exists).
If don't
> I can send it as a patch after I finish this job (that won't be this
month,
> since I have less than two weeks before Xmas and pratically no spare
time).

> Tnx in advance,
>
> Zandao.

First of all, you're posting to the wrong group. The cvsgui list is at
cvsgui at yahoogroups.com (registration required at
news://news.cvsnt.org/support.cvsgui . Even more appropriate in this
case might probably be the developer's list at
cvsgui-dev at yahoogroups.com .

Now for the beef: Porting the existing TCL macros to Python was a task
that I had originally been intending to tackle. It turned out I
probably won't have enough time to finish it properly.
The only two I have really _ported_ so far (well, "rewritten" fits the
facts better I guess) are ChangeRoot and cvs2cl. These are already in
CVS and will likely be included in WinCvs 1.3b11. I have also written
an extended RecursiveAdd macro which is based on Tk. It works very
fine for me and I got a few reports from others liking it as well but
there is a slight chance that the way it is implemented (i.e. the Tk
bit) might break some existing TCL macros because of potential(!)
search path issues. I haven't gotten enough feedback on these macros
yet to feel entirely comfortable with letting average unsuspecting
users run into it. The chance of breakage is very small however and
would only affect certain custom-made TCL macros (if at all!), not the
ones that come with WinCvs. So I might just commit them some time this
week at last.

If you want to take a look my macros (those to be included in WinCvs
as well as some others) are still available from
http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/readme.html .

FWIW, just this morning I had been thinking about starting a poll on
which of the existing TCL macros people actually use on a regular
basis in order to prioritize the conversion work. I guess I might
actually do that today.

Cheers and welcome aboard. :)

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org