[cvsnt] Re: [cvsgui] Re: Unable to correctly import *.tar.gz archives

Mike Ayers mike.ayers at earthling.net
Thu Dec 19 06:58:00 GMT 2002

Arvind Raman wrote:
> Well I am not sure if that actually worked for me. I
> was working thru the WinCvs client and while importing
> the *.tar.gz file I changed the file attributes in the
> import dialog box to binary, but still the import
> didn't happen correctly even though CVS used the -W
> option.
> I could get it into the database correctly only by
> adding it as a binary file.
> Do you think I have done something wrong ?
> Is there a difference between the -kb option as
> specified alone and specified inside the -W option (I
> have never used WinCvs in the command line mode) ?
> The conclusion that I could derive was that if winCvs
> didnt recognize the file as binary by itself it isnt
> possible to import it as a binary file. Am I wrong ?

	My guess is that you are working in client server mode with a CVS
server, which will only import as text, while Oliver is working either
in local mode or with a CVSNT server.  As I understand it, WinCVS uses
the CVSNT client.  There are differences between CVSNT and CVS - I
believe that the import issue is one of those differences.  It can be
tough to keep track of all the CVS's floating around as everyone
releases their own customized versions.  Regardless of reported
experiences, it is safest to not import binaries unless you can first
verify that your setup can import them in all cases.  Since WinCVS can
do mass adds of files from flat mode, with only the need to manually
add the directories, there should be no compelling need for import,
anyway.

	Just some thoughts,

/|/|ike