[cvsnt] Re: server method

Nicholas Mongeau Lazar_Dobrescu at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 22:27:26 GMT 2002

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:au028i$apa$1 at sisko.nodomain.org...
> Nicholas Mongeau wrote:
>
> > I was happy to see in build 62 that the :server: method was added to
> > CVSNT. Unfortunately, it seems it will not work anymore with build 63?
( I
> > always get Connection to server failed messages)
> >
> > Is there any plan to make it work again? And where can I find binaries
for
> > build 62 in the meantime?
> >
> It's broke.  Unfortunately so is the debian rsh server, so there's no way
of
> fixing it as I can't enable rsh on any machine to test it.
>
> I sounds like it's going to be one of those things that's a pain in the
neck
> to keep working, so I'll probably ditch it.
>
> Tony

Lol, due to that informative, albeit unhelpful and mean response(I need my
:server:!!!), I went to take a look at what was wrong, and it seems that the
only problem is that server_connect() now uses tcp_connect_bind() directly,
and tcp_connect_bind() doest not set the static tcp_fd descriptor. So
basically, the socket that has just been connected goes into oblivion while
we try to use an uninitialized descriptor to send our data to cvs...

As tcp_connect_bind() is in common.c, thus is probably used by a myriad of
methods other than server, I'm not certain that the solution would be to
simply add
tcp_fd = sock;
just before returning from that method, but it certainly makes it work for
the :server: method, which makes me happy :)

Please do not ditch the :server: method, it's not always a choice at work
which method we have to use, and some of us are stuck with :server:... We
need cvsnt, it's so much better than other cvses!!!

Nicholas