[cvsnt] Re: Wrong username being used on login, and how to remove zombie editors?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Dec 25 01:01:54 GMT 2002

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:29:22 -0600, "Richard Kuo" <rkuo at nowhere.org>
wrote:

>I have a couple of questions about using WinCVS with CVSNT.
>
>First problem for us is that occasionally we find that when we attempt to
>change logins (typically when a developer is working on a different machine
>and changes the CVS login to use his account on that other machine), for
>some reason WinCVS and Igloo absolutely refuse to change their CVSROOT.
>This is a horribly horribly frustrating problem and we cannot for the life
>of us figure out where it is storing that old CVSROOT or why it's using it.

Not horrible, it is the way CVS works..
Every single CVS user should have *his own* copy of the files in what
is called his sandbox. When *he* does the initial checkout the files
are retrieved from the CVS server and the appropriate login details
are cached in the administrative files inside the CVS subdirectory
located in every single directory of the sandbox. CVSROOT is contained
herein for example.

If another user logs on to the workstation he should check out his own
copy of the files into a sandbox of his own. He should *never* use the
sandbox checked out by anyone else. One reason is that CVS keeps track
of who does what changes to the files and all accaountability will be
lost if you start sharing the sandboxes among developers.

One reason for storing this information is to simplify life for the
developer. After the initial checkout the sandbox "knows" from where
it came and who did the checkout. So all CVS operations can be done on
these files by simply issuing the cvs commands, no need for renewed
logins or such stuff.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)