[cvsnt] Re: New fields in CVSNT Repo file confuse ViewCVS

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Dec 26 11:54:06 GMT 2002

Paul Russell wrote:

> Extra Info:
>
> ViewCVS uses RCS to browse the CVS Repository. RCS is complaining about
> the new fields, generating a warning for "permissions" and aborting on
> "commit_id" because of the unexpected "_".

That looks like an RCS bug - according to the RCS documentation there's
nothing wrong with this.

"permissions" is actually generated by Cyclic CVS if you switch on
PreservePermissions.  There's also "owner" and "group", which I haven't
used.

"_" is valid within identifiers (from rcs file format spec):

     newphrase ::=  id word* ;
     id        ::=  {num} idchar {idchar | num}*
     word      ::=  id | num | string | :
     idchar    ::=  any visible graphic character except special
     word      ::=  id | num | string | :

I can remove the "_" as I'm not using that field yet.  The fields aren't
going, though, so ViewCVS is going to have to handle the warnings, though.