[cvsnt] Re: initializing cvsrepo

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Dec 28 15:51:28 GMT 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 08:58:22 -0500, "Robert Blanton"
<blantonre at earthlink.net> wrote:

>When I initialize the c:\cvsrepo repository from the cvs control panel the
>system creates a CVSROOT folder with various files and an empty folder
>called Emptydir.  Should these various files that are created be edited?
>Also, am I suppose to checkin my sourcecode to the Emptydir folder or do I
>create another folder for this?  Thanks.

You need to read up on CVS...
There are links to various sources of information on my page at:
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

You can start by reading this very good tutorial:
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

Here is another that helps if you use WinCvs as your CVS client. (Note
that CVSNT is a *server* and a command line tool, but has no GUI
part.)
http://ikon.as/wincvs-howto/

A PDF formatted user's manual for WinCvs can be downloaded here:
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cvsgui/WinCvs-1.3.pdf

Note:
the CVSROOT folder contains important administrative information for
CVS, but you are *NOT* supposed to edit any of these files in
place!!!!
You MUST check out CVSROOT to a sandbox and edit the files there, then
commit your changes via CVS from the sandbox. Don't ever look into the
CVSROOT folder directly...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)