[Cvsnt] Latest Updates

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Fri Feb 15 23:49:10 GMT 2002

> Added 'cvs ls' to list files on server

I was wondering how exactly is it working. For example the help says:
cvs ls [-q] [-e] [-l] [-r rev] [-D date] modules...
     -q Quieter Output.
     -e Display in CVS/Entries format.
     -l  Display all details.
     -r rev Show files with revision or tag.
     -D date Show files from date.

So it appears that to list the files I need know the modules first. But how
do I know modules? The "co -c" doesn't solve the problem as it is (almost)
never properly maintained and can't be relied on since the human-factor is
involved. You can't rely on the history as well - it can be tampered with,
disabled, lost - you name it.

What is needed is a way to list the modules and files all together, knowing
the cvsroot only - that would allow to develop a decend GUI and stop telling
people to use CVSWEB and other work-around tools...

Or is there any other way to get modules first in order to be able to query
for files afterwards?

I would also want to have the "-R" flag to force the recursion and the "-l"
to force local, with the local being default. The "all details" could be
renamed to "-a" then. Something like that:

cvs ls [-q] [-e] [-l] [-r rev] [-D date] modules...
     -l Local directory only, no recursion.
     -R Process directories recursively.
     -q Quieter Output.
     -e Display in CVS/Entries format.