[Cvsnt] Visual Studio .NET for CVS-NT?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Tue Feb 5 23:08:12 GMT 2002

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Via my MSDN subscription I have received the release version of VS7
> (aka VS.NET) and now I wonder if I should take a dive and install it.
> I am using VC6 at the moment only for compiling CVSNT and WinCvs.
> Will there be problems if I switch to VC7??
> Anyone who has tested it?

We haven't received the release yet (Still on beta 2) but I assume it's
due some time as we have MSDN Universal (that said we haven't had an
official release of XP yet either...  MSDN isn't half as reliable as it
used to be).

VS.NET uses a binary format for its project files... I assume there's
some kind of upgrade path but there's little chance of being able to
manage these in CVS, and there's obviously no downgrade.

This fact alone has actually led to a comapany wide decision not to
adopt VS.NET where I work... I'm not even allowed to install it in case
it upgrades something and screws up the development tree (We got burned
with the Access 97/Access 2000 switch which nearly cost us an entire
release - someone installed Access 2000 and viewed some critical
databases with it, rendering them unusable).

"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual

tmh at nothing-on.tv
http://www.nothing-on.tv