[Cvsnt] Problems connecting Eclipse to CVSNT

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Feb 7 10:15:50 GMT 2002

No bug!
The CVS system is designed such that you can control which users are allowed access via the passwd file. But this is only a selection of one or more of the already existing system users. Once CVS finds that the user is allowed to use CVS it switches to that user account for the remainder of the session.
The password in the CVS passwd file need not (should not) be the same as the system password for that user, it is just used to tell CVS that the user is OK.
This way the true password is never transmitted over potentially insecure connections.

/Bo