[Cvsnt] How can checkout CVSROOT/modules

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Feb 10 19:01:42 GMT 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:51:51 +0000 (UTC),
aw_asdf.spam at me.not.yahoo.com wrote:

>Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:32:55 +0000 (UTC),
>> aw_asdf.spam at me.not.yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>>    cvs history -c -a -l
>
>> Tried as follows:
>
>> cvs history -c -a -l
>> *****CVS exited normally with code 0*****
>> No records selected.
>
>> Nothing much came out....
>
>Do you have the "history" featured turned on?  You will need
>to make a file called "history" in <cvs-repo>/CVSROOT.  Changes
>to the repo are recorded in that file.
>
>I had thought that history was on by default, but after checking
>the docs I find that it is not.
>
>The above example may not do much until you have made updates
>to your repo, after you make the history file.
>
>Sorry for the confusion;
>Andrew.

No confusion, it just plain did not work from the command window of
WinCvs when I was in a directory above the sandboxes (my CVS home
dir).
I have 137 log lines in my history file in the test CVS server I run
at home. I run the very latest CVSNT (I build myeslf as soon as Tony
commits new stuff...). I use the latest WinCvs too.

New try:
If I move inside a checked out module in WinCvs and issue the command
cvs history -c -a -l from there, then it does work. A lomg list is
printed on screen.

I have also gone to a command window outside the sandbox itself. When
I issue the cvs history -c -a -l command I don't get anything back,
but if I set the CVSROOT environment variable in this command window
and then issue the command I get a bunch of log lines back. Looks like
they form a list of all commits done in the repository sorted by the
module name.
I guess that if I issue the command in any directory I should first
set the CVSROOT environment variable and I will get the list back.

So the bottom line is that if someone makes a Python script it could
be added to the Macros list in WinCvs and used as a way to list which
modules actually exist in the repository. Or at least which modules
have received commits since history got started. Potentially this
could be a HUGE list so it should be pruned down by removing all
duplicated modulename lines and also all other stuff in the loglines.

Is anyone prepared to create such a script and add it to the Macros
available in WinCvs? Such a script should either use the current
cvsroot or ask the user for a specification.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)