[Cvsnt] Cant get any remote protocols working - please help

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 18 10:45:54 GMT 2002

Sure, I know the patch isn't acceptable. However, it seems to work
(denying and accepting requests correctly) in my testing for NTSERVER
mode (no passwd file, SystemAuth=yes). I don't really know anything
about this stuff, so I'm learning as I go. Please correct my mistakes.

My understanding is that NTSERVER mode doesn't need to do the password
checking in my situation. Since I used a named pipe to connect (that is
what NTSERVER is), then I should have already been authenticated through
the named pipe (inside of ntserver_auth_protocol_connect), correct? If
so, why does the server try to authenticate me again with a password
(which it has no way of knowing)?

Here is the call-stack that I get for LogonUser (which fails):

      server_authenticate_connection()
      check_password()
      win32_valid_user("SmithBL", NULL, NULL)
      LogonUser("SmithBl", NULL, NULL,
                LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK, LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT,
                user);

Thanks,
Brian