[Cvsnt] newbie : help required asap regarding WinCVS configuration and reserved checkout

Khalid Sheikh khalid_j_sheikh at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 19:46:37 GMT 2002

Hi guys : I am fairly new to CVS or WinCVS to be
exact. our developement enviroment is NT so we are
running WinCVS. As I am trying to learn this product I
have a few questions that I hope someone can help me
resolve.

1. Apparently the previous WinCVS admin configured
WinCVS in such a way, or maybe default configuration
like i said i am a newbie, if a developer creates a
new file and checks it in, in the mean time someother
developer wants to use that file so he/she tries to
check that file out, WinCVS makes you take all the
files from the repository. it's all or nothing. is
there a way i can change that so that the developer
only needs to grab that particular file and not
everythign else. Thanks.

2. second one is regarding setting up reserved
checkout model for the development enviroment. we
don't want to deal with the hassle of unreserved
checkout model, partially because the development
cycle is so small and a very small number of actual
developers are on board. so we want to implement the
reserved checkout model, is there a way we can
automate this process without asking each developer to
actually go ahead and lock the file before checking it
out to edit it. we can always depend on a large number
of developers to go ahead and follow the laid out
steps but it is the very few who make it an issue and
cause the major headaches in the end.

thanks in advance for your help

=====
A.H.