[Cvsnt] Installing and Starting Service: Service is in invalid state

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 25 05:19:43 GMT 2002

I have noticed that when I first install CVSNT, if I install the service
and then start it right away (without closing the control panel applet),
the service stays in the "starting" state and never starts. I have to
restart the computer and then restart the service and it works fine.
This is with CVSNT 1.11.1.3 Beta 9, although I noticed it with earlier
versions too.

It only seems to be a problem the very first time you install the
service on a machine. So, I suspect some registry settings are not
getting set between clicking "install" and "start", and the service gets
hung during startup while waiting for those registry settings.

- Brian