[Cvsnt] pserver setup problem

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 27 14:24:41 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:43:47 +0000 (UTC), Stacy Young
<Stacy.Young at sfcommerce.com> wrote:

>Thanks!
>
>Now when you say add the passwd file in the CVSROOT does that mean the root
>according to the ENV variable I setup or in the CVSROOT of each repository?
>(I'm thinking the later so I can have diff users for each repository?)
>
>Thx for the help!

This question reflects the general confusion concerning the word
'cvsroot'. It is REALLY confusing because it is used in many places
for different purposes such as:
CVSROOT environment variable
CVSROOT cvs connection string
CVSROOT directory for administrative files
CVSROOT module on the server

sigh...

But what I meant was that you must place the file into the CVSROOT
subdirectory of the repository on the server. And you MUST NOT add the
passwd file to the checkoutlist file! You must handle this special
file outside of the CVS versioning. Otherwise anyone checking out
CVSROOT module will get access to the passwd file!
There must be one passwd file in each repository and yes, you can have
different user lists in the different repositories.

HTH