Antwort: Vedr.: [Cvsnt] does a repository work on network drive?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 27 13:26:47 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:04:34 +0000 (UTC),
Peter.Prokesch at wetzer.endress.com wrote:

>I mapped a network drive to q: where I created a "repositories"-directory using the
>cvsnt service panel.
>Afterwards I changed the account of the cvsservice to my personal account (I have
>all rights on this network share).
>
>Then I changed the settings in  WinCVS to
>NEW CVSROOT: ProkeschP at mpk:q:\repositories (NT server services)
>
>Now when I try to import the files I get
>cvs import -I ! -I CVS -m "no message" test_sources avendor arelease (in directory
>D:\user\peter\test_sources)
>can't create temporary directory Q:\/cvs-serv176
>No such file or directory
>
>I find it very strange that my specified dir is ignored!
>Any ideas?

This directory does not exist because the session CVSNT is running in
does not have a drive mapping. Note that you are seeing drive mappings
when you log in only because you have previously used Windows Explorer
to create the drive mapping and checked the "reconnect on login"
checkbox. So when you log in Windows Explorer will recreate the drive
mapping. But CVSNT is not running in your logged in session and it
does not use the Windows Explorer, so the drive mapping does not exist
for it.
It is generally a BAD idea to try using a network drive for CVS
repositories even though it has been reported that it can be set up,
for example by using the \\server\share notation and the proper CVSNT
user setup.