[Cvsnt] Newbie: How to read history. Login hangs for 1 person

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jan 2 19:49:40 GMT 2002

Hello Wolfram,
regarding the history file I also wonder about the exact format of the
timestamps. Can't find anything in Karl Fogels otherwise very good
book (Open Source Development with CVS)...
As an example here are a few neighboring history lines from a test
server I have:
M3c169e79|bosse|<remote>|BosseTest/Nisse|1.2|CopyofBosse.txt
M3c169e79|bosse|<remote>|BosseTest/Nisse|1.2|nissedoc.txt

These two lines are from a commit I did and one may suspect the
following interpretation of the timestamp:
M is a marker telling us that files are modified?

I have found these letters as starting chars of a line:
A, F, M, O, W
Would be interesting to know the meaning of these letters...

3c169e79 might be the 32 bit UNIX time stamp in hex format. In any
case I think it represents a timestamp in seconds from some starting
time. In this case we have 1008115321 seconds = 31.9 years. Since the
log entry was done late last year I think that this confirms that it
is a UNIX timestamp. Unix time starts in 1970 and is 32 bit.

Then follows username of the person doing the commit, how he is
connected, module in which the file resides, new file revision and
finally the filename itself.

Connection problems
You need look no further than the first test. If the machine the
person is using cannot reach the server then all else will fail.
You can test by going to a command prompt and typing in:
ping 195.212.87.218<enter>
If there is no reply from the server then you have a networking
problem on this PC, not a CVS problem. You MUST be able to ping the
server before you can hope to use CVS in pserver mode.

HTH

/Bo