[Cvsnt] CVS Server is very SLOW

Michael J. Carter michael at volcanictech.com
Tue Jan 8 17:16:31 GMT 2002

I've installed CVSNT 1.11.1.2 (Build 41) on Windows 2000 Advanced Server w/
SP2 running in a domain.

I'm running in "pserver protocol" only (no impersonation).

I've created a /CVSROOT/passwd file with a username:password:local_account
and I'm able to login just fine.

The problem is that everything is so SLOW.

The initial login returns right away, however, any time I use a command from
the CVS client, it takes at least 10-15 seconds before I get any messages
from the client.

I enabled Security auditing on the server just to make sure there were no
issues with trying to get permissions.

This is the sequence of events that occur in the Security Log:
*    EnumerateDomains, LookupDomain
*    LookupIDs
*    GetLocalGroupMembership, LookupIDs
*    ReadGeneralInformation, ReadLogon, ReadAccount, ListGroups

All of these entries are logged at the same time (e.g., 12:00:51 PM), so I
don't think that is the problem.

The service is running using the LOCALSYSTEM account.

Not sure what other information you need.

Any help would be appreciated. As of now, the CVS server is unusable due to
the long delays.

Thanks in advance,

Michael J. Carter
Volcanic Technologies