[Cvsnt] Anyone using cvsntupd?

Edward Gemar egemar at forwardvue.com
Wed Jan 30 23:00:23 GMT 2002

	The problem was that the CVS folder hadn't been correctly added
to the system PATH so it couldn't find the cvs executable.  I was able
to debug the problem by piping standard error to a log.  To do this in
DOS, you use the following syntax c:\>(Your Command) 2>mylogfile.txt
Note the '2' to pipe standard error.
	Once I solved my problem I noticed a few limitations with
CVSNTUpd as it stands.  If you create and commit a directory and pass
the module name to CVSNTUpd in loginfo, this will fail because it will
attempt to CD to the new directory which doesn't exist yet (the perl
script shipped with CVSNTUpd handles the correctly however).  Also,
directories with spaces can also cause problems.  Lastly, both CVSNTUpd
and the update_websites create a long concatenated command line to be
run by the scheduler.  If this command exceeds 259 characters (which it
easily can with a reasonable deep directory path) the task will fail.
	I found that easiest thing to do was use a modified version of
the update_websites script that has an added check for spaces in the
module name and just schedules a call to another script file (that
actually does the CD and calls CVS)  This solves the problem of creating
a command line that's too long.
	Thanks to John Peacock for writing this because being new to CVS
I wouldn't have a clue as what to do and now our intranet is perfectly
synced with cvs.  Way cool!
	BTW, if anyone is interested in the tweaks I made let me know.

	Edward

Edward Gemar
ForwardVue Technologies, Inc.
Austin, TX