[Cvsnt] CVSNT authentication tests

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 26 23:56:34 GMT 2002

Tony,
I have now instelled the latest CVSNT from your site and tried to get
it going.
- I am doing this on a new PC where I have installed XP-Pro
- I have copied my old test repository to this new PC
- I have installed CVSNT from the distribution
- I have used the Control panel applet to configure CVSNT
- I have changed the TEMP variable to point at E:\temp and restarted

I have discovered the following very strange behaviour:
Only if I check both listen to TCP/IP and named pipe is it possible to
start CVSNT service. To my mind this means that pserver cannot be
switched off.

- In control panel I have specifically added the repository copies I
had from my old server to the new CVSNT. There are files in that
repository in several test modules.

Results:
- When I use the ntserver protocol to attach to the server it fails
100% of the times. Doesn't matter if from the command prompt or using
WinCvs1.3.
- If I add a passwd file to the CVSROOT it still fails.
- If I add myself as a user in passwd but enter a completely wrong
password, then I am accepted to do a command line checkout!
- In this condition I can also check out from WinCvs

This of course raises a few questions:
1. Why is CVSROOT\passwd needed if I am connected using ntserver over
the named pipe?? I assumed that passwd is used when the connection is
via pserver...

2. Why is the ntserver connection accepted if the user (me) is named
in the passwd file, but with a completely bogus password?

3. Why is the CVSNT service not started if I disable the listening on
the TCPIP port in the control panel applet? I thought that it was
possible to have CVSNT *only* accept calls via ntserver by unchecking
this setting....

Strange....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)