[Cvsnt] Even stranger behaviour...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jan 27 00:32:00 GMT 2002

Refer to my previous post for details on the setup.
(post title: CVSNT authentication tests)

Now I have modified a file in the module I checked out in the strange
way described above. On commit I get this log (wrapped lines):

cvs -z9 commit -m "Small changes" mangedoc.txt (in directory
C:\Engineering\TEST\BosseTest\Nisse\)
Checking in mangedoc.txt;
f:/cvsrepo/Bosse/BosseTest/Nisse/mangedoc.txt,v  <--  mangedoc.txt
done
cvs commit: inflate: invalid block type
cvs [commit aborted]: reading from server: Input/output error

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

What in the world does this mean????
In WinCvs the file remains red until I do an update and then it
switches to white, so the commit succeeded but there was something
else that failed. This is related to CVSNT not WinCvs (I tested the
command on both WinCvs and the command line - same result.

MORE
I have been throwing this file with different small edits into CVS
using command line (which points to the CVSNT cvs.exe) and WinCvs1.3
(which uses its own cvs.exe) and there have been all kinds of strange
messages and errors, sometimes no message at all - WinCvs just hangs
on commits.
When I tried to copy in the CVSNT cvs.exe into my WinCvs1.3 directory
then WinCvs broke totally with this message:

*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****
cvs -z9 commit -m "Small changes" mangedoc.txt (in directory
C:\Engineering\TEST\BosseTest\Nisse\)
cvs [commit aborted]: the :ntserver: access method is not supported by
this port of CVS
*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

Apparently not a good solution, but why does not CVSNT cvs.exe support
ntserver? A really surprising discovery...

Sigh, I think I have to sleep on this.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)