[Cvsnt] Killing rogue cvs processes?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Mon Jan 28 22:46:36 GMT 2002

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I thought that I had a stable CVSNT server (Win2000 server) running,
> but finally I have also found that there appears a number of cvs.exe
> processe that do not terminate in my CVSNT 1.10.8 server. Maybe the
> reason is that the number of users is now increasing?
> I don't know what is causing them to linger on and I cannot kill the
> cvs.exe processes from task manager.

WinCVS 1.2 used to sometimes leave the handles open, so the service
wouldn't shut down.  The usual answer was to make sure that everyone
closed WinCVS when they weren't using it.  WinCVS 1.3 doesn't have this
problem as it calls the cvs.exe as and when needed (the problem was
called by a handle leak in the 1.10.8 client IIRC).

You can have a task manager running as System which can kill anything:
'at /interactive <time plus a couple of minutes> taskmgr.exe'

"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual

tmh at nothing-on.tv
http://www.nothing-on.tv