[Cvsnt] Need help bad: cvs clients can't login to my win2kpro cvs server

Christopher Shreve cshreve at fulcrum.net
Thu Jan 31 20:01:01 GMT 2002

Hola,

I'll cut to the chase...I can't seem to login to my CVS NT server.

I've read the readme.nt and the faq and here's what I've done.

created a user called 'xyz'...this is the who the cvs server runs as.
the environment variables for 'xyz' are :
HOME=C:\
TEMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP
TMP=C:\WINNT\TEMP

The CVSROOT is C:\cvsroot

The config file (which I've checked into CVS) has the line
SystemAuth=no

I have a .passwd file (In both C:\ AND C:\cvsroot) that has the
following entry
joeblo:ycVYvYBZFWHXo

joeblo is not a windows user or a domain user! However I *THINK* that if
I have this entry in this file then CVS will auth against it. IS this
right?

I start the service up and verify that it is running as 'xyz'.

Heres the problem.

First...on the windows box that CVS is running...when I execute 'cvs
login' I get a 'cvs.exe has produced an error' message and then the
program just dies.

Second...on my client box (Solaris... my CVSROOT env var is
:pserver:joeblo at W2Kboxname:c:/cvsroot)
when I try to log in I get a
'no such user joeblo in CVSROOT/passwd'
cvs login: authorization failed....

I don't know what else I should do.