[Cvsnt] Help needed with Creating a Branch

ahamil01 at uoguelph.ca ahamil01 at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jul 4 02:42:21 BST 2002

"Bobafett" <j.cahill at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> I am trying to create a branch so i can commit changes to my code.  I am
> using WinCVS version 1.3 and when i create a new branch i put in the branch
> name and the module i want to fork.  I then get the following error

> cvs [rtag aborted]: cannot rename file
> d:\Groups\2002\project\team041\Zero41/,Zero41.cpp, to
> d:\Groups\2002\project\team041\Zero41/Zero41.cpp,v: File exists

> What am i doing wrong?  any help would be great

I have just encountered the same problem.  I have been using the
command-line CVS, but another user has been using WinCVS.

Known Facts:

  - the contents of the repo version seem fine, AFAIK.
  - the file seems to have gone bad after version 1.4; the first
    4 versions worked hunky-dory
  - at the time of the problem, the file in question was the
    only one in the project with the readonly bit _NOT_ set;
    setting this bit results in the next repo action (I used
    a tag) returning "end of file from server", and a subsequent
    tag again returning "cannot rename file ... File exists".

Any thoughts?  Anybody?

Thanks,
Andrew.