[Cvsnt] Connection to CVS NT server over SSH from WinCVS

Mykhailo Rudnichenko mr at os-it.com
Fri Jul 5 15:36:16 BST 2002

Hello ,

Friday, July 5, 2002, 3:34:00 PM, you wrote:

MR>   I installed on local PC SSH client and SSH server and had
MR>   succesfully conected from client to server.
MR>   Also I has WinCVS and CVS NT on this PC.
MR>   When I use ntserver protocol I can succesfully import and checkout
MR>   projects between WinCVS and CVS NT.
MR>   But when I set SSH as protocol and configure WinCVS in such way:

MR> 1)Set CVSROOT to
MR> :ext:username at servername:/cvsroot
MR> 2) Set Authentication to ssh
MR> 3) In Settings dialog... (for the ssh protocol)
MR> Click "If ssh is not in the PATH" and enter path for plink.exe
MR> For "additional SSH options" enter:
MR> -ssh -pw MYPASSWORD
MR> and trying to checkout project I receive error messages:
MR> in like console window

MR> Access denied
MR> Access denied
MR> FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
MR> type 2 (SSH_DISCONNECT_PROTOCOL_ERROR):
MR> "Too many authentication failures for mr"

MR> and in WinCVS output window:

MR> NEW CVSROOT: :ext:mr at 192.168.3.16:e:/temp/CVS_repository (ssh authentication)
MR> cvs checkout -P CVS_Docs (in directory E:\temp\Working_folder)
MR> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `mr at 192.168.3.16's password:
MR> ' from cvs server
MR> cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `mr at 192.168.3.16's password:
MR> ' from cvs server

MR> If I use passwordless perl script my_ssh_cvs.pl
MR> system("plink.exe", "-ssh", "-pw", "YOURPASSWORD", @ARGV);

MR> I receive following output:

MR> NEW CVSROOT: :ext:mr at 192.168.3.16:e:/temp/CVS_repository (ssh authentication)
MR> cvs checkout -P CVS_Docs (in directory E:\temp\Working_folder)
MR> cvs [checkout aborted]: Connection to server failed

MR> BUT if i try ALL this in command prompt mode, I mean connection to SSH
MR> server using plink and using script everything is Ok.

MR> Seems in unknown for me reason CVS don't use plink correctly.
MR> Where is troubles???

    I found way how partly resolve this problem.
    I use for SSH server OpenSSH on Windows v3.4-1 from http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh
    And setup it in way as described in readme.txt file.
    This package also include SSH client.
    I enetered in Settings dialog... (for the ssh protocol) Click "If ssh
    is not in the PATH" and enter path for ssh.exe and for "additional
    SSH options" enter: -l
    After trying checkout or import in concole windows appears prompt
    to enter password, I entered my password and checkout or import
    proceeds correctly exept few problems:
    1) If project on CVS NT repository contains sub-folders during
    checkout appears crash of CVS NT server. (I use Windows XP)
    2) After each operation console window of WinCVS not closed
    automatically

    Problems with password entering and not closing console window not
    crucial.
    But what about CVS NT crash???? Is it fully support Windows XP?

--
Best regards,
 Mykhailo                            mailto:mr at os-it.com