[Cvsnt] pserver

david_palmer at westlb.co.uk david_palmer at westlb.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 10:39:01 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm stumped. Can't get pserver to work. Wisdom please. Today I'm using my work
e-mail address david_palmer at westlb.co.uk

What have I got:
cvsnt installed on the c drive up and running as per the readme file that comes
with the install exe.
The pc which is networked into a domain. It's NT4 service pack 6

SystemAuth=yes  #so that domain passwords are used

Problem 1: When trying to add passwd entries. My logon has local admin rights
but I log into the domain to gain access to the pc.  Do I need to logon localy?
     H:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:PCB3700:/crisp

     H:\>cvs passwd -a palmerd
     Adding user palmerd at PCB3700
     New password: ********
     Verify password: ********
     cvs [server aborted]: Only administrators can add users

Problem 2: So I hack the passwd file and tried the following entries in a
(serial manner). DOM-WLB is the domain name
     DOM-WLB\palmerd:!DOM-WLB
     palmerd:!DOM-WLB

This is what I get from a client (which is the same pc just a different shell):
     H:\>set cvsroot=:pserver:palmerd at PCB3700:/crisp

     H:\>cvs login
     Logging in to :pserver:palmerd at PCB3700:2401/crisp
     CVS password: ********
     Fatal error, aborting.
     cvs [login aborted]: palmerd: no such user

Here I switched to domain but made a mistake and put an _ instead of -.
Interesting response though. Proves that the real one is actually doing
something
     H:\>set cvsroot=:pserver:DOM_WLB\palmerd at PCB3700:/crisp

     H:\>cvs login
     Logging in to :pserver:DOM_WLB\palmerd at PCB3700:2401/crisp
     CVS password: ********
     cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from PCB3700: cvs server:
error 0 Invalid username - cannot specify domain as machine is not a domain
member

And finally this is where I am now .... and stuck.
     H:\>set cvsroot=:pserver:DOM-WLB\palmerd at PCB3700:/crisp

     H:\>cvs login
     Logging in to :pserver:DOM-WLB\palmerd at PCB3700:2401/crisp
     CVS password: ********
     cvs [login aborted]: authorization failed: server PCB3700 rejected access
to /crisp for user DOM-WLB\palmerd

Curiously WinCvs using Admin->Prefrences->General->CVSROOT
palmerd at PCB3700:/crisp and ntserver as authentication works fine. As does the
sandbox example that Are Bjolseth uses in the cvsnt FAQ. I think this just
exposes my lack of understanding on the subject.

David

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sie ist ausschliesslich fuer
den im Adressfeld ausgewiesenen Adressaten bestimmt.
Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so bitten
wir um eine kurze Nachricht. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung
oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Da wir nicht die
Echtheit oder Vollstaendigkeit der in dieser Nachricht
enthaltenen Informationen garantieren koennen, schliessen wir
die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklaerungen
und Aeusserungen aus. Wir verweisen in diesem Zusammenhang
auch auf die  fuer die Bank geltenden Regelungen ueber die
Verbindlichkeit von Willenserklaerungen mit verpflichtendem
Inhalt, die in den bankueblichen Unterschriftenverzeichnissen
bekannt gemacht werden.

This message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the named  addressee. If you are not the
intended recipient please inform us. Any unauthorised
dissemination, distribution or copying hereof is prohibited.
As we cannot guarantee the  genuineness or completeness of
the information contained in this message, the statements
set forth above are not legally binding. In connection
therewith, we also refer to the governing regulations of
WestLB concerning signatory authority published in the
standard bank signature lists with regard to the legally
binding effect of statements made with the intent to
obligate WestLB.