[Cvsnt] assigning version numbers in cvs

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jul 24 20:26:45 BST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:14:36 +0000 (UTC), lramesh at leapfrogtech.com
("Lakshmi Ramesh") wrote:

>--
>I would like to understand how I can assign a version number in cvsnt.
>Right now, I have 1.1.1.1 assigned by the system when I imported the
>files for the first time.  I would like to change this version number to
>1.2.5.0.
>
>I will be extremely grateful for any help you can provide.
>
>Thanks
>
>Lakshmi

You have not understood the way CVS works...
The numbers you see (1.1.1.1 after an import) are not version numbers,
they are *file revision* numbers.
These are managed by the CVS system and you should not try to modify
them manually.
Versions are something that is handled through 'tags' in CVS. You
assign a certain version on a module containing many souce files at
varying revision states by setting a tag at a certain time. The name
of the tag can be for example 'ReleaseVersion_1-1-0' (unfortunately
you cannot use periods in a tag).
After this has been done all files in the module have recorded which
revision is connected to the tag and you can later check out *exactly*
this set of files using the tag.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)