[Cvsnt] cvs [login aborted]: no such repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jul 26 21:06:28 BST 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:05:13 +0000 (UTC), tleish at hotmail.com ("Tony
Fenleish") wrote:

>I've set up CVSNT and have it working on the local machine with local and
>ntserver, and then I have it working remotely with ssh, but I can't get it
>to work with pserver.  When I try to login, I get a promt to enter a
>password.  After entering the pass I get an error:
>
>pserver path:
>:pserver:user at domain:c:/cvs/cvsrepo
>
>Error:
>cvs [login aborted]: c:/cvs/cvsrepo: no such repository
>
>The ssh path that works.
>:ext:user at domain:c:/cvs/cvsrepo
>
>Using the CVSNT Applet, the following is entered in the registry:
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CVS\PServer]
>"RepositoryPrefix"=="E:/cvs/cvsrepo"
>"StartNTServer"==dword:00000001
>"StartPServer"==dword:00000001
>"Impersonation"==dword:00000001
>"DontUseDomain"==dword:00000001
>"PServerPort"==dword:00000961
>"TempDir"=="E:\\cvs\\cvstemp"
>"Repository0"=="E:/cvs/cvsrepo"
>"Repository1"=="E:/cvs/cvsrepo/test"
>
>I've looked all through the cvsnt docs and mail list and I can't find a
>solution to this one.
>
>Thanks,
>-Tony

You have two errors in your setup as far as I can see:

1) You have specified a repository prefix on the server but you are
not using that in your connections. If you have a repository prefix of
e:/cvs/cvsrepo and a repository at e:/cvs/cvsrepo/test then the
connection cvsroot string should be like this:
  :pserver:user at server:/test
Note that the part that is eaqual to the prefix should not be used,
otherwise CVSNT will be looking for a repository at:
  e:/v=B4cvs/cvsrepo/c:/cvs/cvsrepo/test which of course is nonworking

2) You have set up the server wrong too, from the registry entries you
have a repository root at e:/cvs/cvsroot but your first repository is
also set to this location. ("Repository0"=="E:/cvs/cvsrepo")
This is wrong, repositories should *start* below the prefix, they
should all be like the E:/cvs/cvsrepo/test repository, otherwise it
will be hard to separate them, effectively one repository becomes part
of another and this is clarly wrong.
Remove the first repository and create a new in parallel to test
instead.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)